Cyclists interacting with Motorists

I just read this rather frightening account of a NY State Senator almost crushing a cyclist and then threatening him.  It reminded me of a similar experience I had on Pacific Boulevard in Vancouver.  An SUV driver veered into the cycling lane, hit my arm which I had instinctively stretched out and then yelled at me not to touch his vehicle.


But there is also a much more heartwarming account on No Impact Man's Blog where a confrontation ends with a handshake.  And that too reminded me of an incident here in Vancouver.  I was legally using the new bike box on the Carrall Street Greenway.  A delivery van driver started shouting and swearing at me because I was in the bike box.  I tried to explain what the bike box was but he just continued to yell at me telling me that what I was doing was wrong.  I followed him to his next stop and started to phone the number on the side of his truck.  He suddenly became much more resonable and I was able to explain to him how a bike box works.  The conversation ended with an apology from him and a handshake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are so many Canadians duped by this graphic?

Is BC Hydro about to Kill Solar Energy in BC?

Buses on the Port Mann